Teaching with Intention Chapters 4 & 5 (free resource link)


We were camping last week and I missed out on the linky for Chapter 4 so I'm adding it today.  I loved this chapter it was FULL of wonderful insight and info but I'm going to keep it short and sweet. :)

Check out Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd and Positively Learning for more on Chapter 4. Visit The Kindergarten Smorgasboard to the read about all the chapters.


The quote Debbie Miller referenced below sums up the whole chapter for me.  We aren't forcing feeding the kids - we are guiding them.  

"Each time one prematurely teaches a child something he could have discovered himself, that child is kept from inventing it and consequently from understanding it completely."
- Jean Piaget 1983

Classroom culture can either foster the above belief or hinder it.  Creating this culture is easier said than done with the pressure most of us are under (state standards, DIBELS, and the list goes on).

Debbie Miller provided a simple solution in this quote: 
"I had to relax, slow down, and be present."


This year I'm going to do my best to slow down even more, to relax, to be present, and keep all my teacher pressures in perspective.  After all, we do it for the kids...

Chapter 5: Swimming with Sharks gives us a chance to "see" a Debbie Miller in action! It's nonfiction and the topic is...sharks. :)  The students research sharks and Debbie makes it purposeful, interactive, and engaging, with real-world applications. I cannot wait to follow her example AND I found a great resource on Pinterest/TPT! A Teacher on a Mission created My Schema File: Thinking While Reading and it's FREE.  Click the link to get yours. :)

No comments

Back to Top